Lady bugs, lady beetles and stink bugs
Lady bugs (lady beetles) and stink bugs fall into the category of “occasional invaders.” This means they aren’t really bothersome until they infest your home.
Seeing a few lady bugs, lady beetles or stink bugs around your home isn’t a big deal until you have an infestation.
Lady beetle or lady bug?
Around North Mississippi and Tennessee, you usually see Asian Lady Beetles. These Lady beetles are slightly different from what most of us refer to as “ladybugs”.
Asian Lady Beetles often appear when the weather cools. They congregate on the side of a house by the hundreds or thousands. If Lady beetles can find an entry point into your home, they will make their way inside.
Lady bugs are generally considered to be helpful insects. When ladybugs or lady beetles are found on a crape myrtle, they typically have laid hundreds of eggs right in middle of the aphids.
As soon as the eggs hatch, they begin feasting on the aphids. Ladybugs can rescue a crape myrtle and even a crop from aphids when the timing is right!
In order to protect themselves from predators, ladybugs secrete a fluid from the joints in their legs. This secretion is unappealing to predators and smells really bad to humans.
In an infestation of lady bugs, many homeowners experience staining on walls from the secreted fluid. Some people are even allergic to the dust from their crumbling shells.
While stink bugs have never been depicted as “cute” like lady bugs, they are also not much of a problem until an infestation occurs.
Much like the lady beetles, stink bugs produce a foul odor and are best swept up and safely thrown away.
How do you define infestation?
A sudden increase in destructiveness or population numbers of a pest species in a given area.
When their numbers and impact are currently or potentially at intolerable levels.
First, check out what is happening outside your home.
- Repair cracks around windows and doors
- Repair torn window or door screens
- Remove piles of branches and leaves in your lawn
- Eliminate areas where water collects
Now see what’s happening inside your home:
- Check under sinks for leaking pipes and repair.
- If you discover a building infestation, vacuum up lady bugs, lady beetles and stink bugs and throw them away.
If you are beyond that solution, Lawn and Pest can help.
In addition to “occasional invaders” we are also here to protect your home from termites, roaches, ants and more. Our licensed pest technicians will thoroughly spray inside and outside of your home on a regular schedule to ensure this problem is taken care of now and later.
Our website has a user-friendly app to leave your messages with our office. Leave us a message and let us show you #thelpsdifference .
Local versus national pest control
Google “local pest control” first
When deciding between a local or a national pest company, try reading the Google reviews. You might notice that our customers frequently refer to our employees by name in the reviews. You won’t find that when you google the “big guys.”
Thanks to big budgets, national marketing and branding, some nationally recognized companies have successfully made their names a fixture.
Why choose a local pest control company?
- A local pest control company may be able to charge you less for the same services.
- We live here, too. A local company will be well aware of all the seasonal pest infestations that are happening where YOU are, not where “THEY” are.
- A local pest control company can work with your schedules and needs, not what “corporate” tells them to do.
We are a locally owned pest control business.
Working with a locally owned business like Lawn and Pest Solutions means that you are getting very personal service. We work hard to retain our employees for years so that customer relationships are solid and built on trust.
Who is that man at my door?
Our pest technicians are trustworthy, honest, hardworking and loyal. We don’t send in “fly by night” employees to spray inside your home. You won’t be worried to see our guys spraying in your lawn or on your patio.
In addition to providing reliable technicians, our owner Paul Welborn feels personally responsible for each customer. It is not uncommon for him to show up at a home to help solve an unusual pest issue. He is committed to making sure the customer gets the best possible service.
Whether loading up trucks at 6:45 a.m. or frying up fish at employee appreciation day, Paul is there. Creating personal relationships with his employees and investing in their futures is important to Paul. He believes that qualified trained technicians who want to stay with the company is key to keeping customers happy.
When the company sees itself as a team, everyone benefits, including the customers. This is why it is important to choose a local pest control company over a national one.
We provide outstanding customer service and stand behind our programs. We serve the North Mississippi and Memphis, Tennessee areas with outstanding pest control. Contact our office 24/7 to get a very fast response and outstanding service.
The best way to bug proof your home
The best way to bug proof your home is by keeping bugs from ever entering your home. A tidy home and yard also help keep bugs away.
A consistent program like our Lawn and Pest Solutions Pest360 can “seal the deal” as they say.
From the outside in
A bug proof home happens as the result of a team effort. The best professional treatment won’t work if we aren’t “all in this together”.
Outside the house
- If you have firewood stacked next to your home, get it off the ground and move it a few feet away from the house.
- Clean up debris from your yard. Piles of sticks, limbs and leaves are gathering places for bugs and other pests.
- If there are any limbs, vines or branches touching your home, remove them. These create a corridor for bugs and other undesirable critters to get into your roof or home.
- Repair any small holes, cracks or tears in window screens, under doors or windows. Bugs are tiny and can get in the smallest access points.
Inside the house
- Shut your windows and doors, all the way. Gaping doors and unscreened windows will allow ANYTHING to get in your home.
- Check the space behind your washing machine and refrigerator where water lines come in. These are very easy entry points for bugs to get in your home.
- Vacuum away cobwebs.
- Run your garbage disposal frequently.
What are bugs looking for inside my home?
- 1. Water: Leaky faucets or sources of water are popular gathering spots for bugs. Look under your sink, washing machine, and refrigerator. Any place where water runs from outside to inside is a hot spot.
- Food. Rinse and put away dirty dishes in the sink. Sweep up pet food that scatters on the floor. Keep pet food in sealed containers.
Contact Lawn and Pest Solutions in New Albany, MS and as a team, we will work to bug-proof your home. Hire our local bed bug exterminators to protect your home from unwanted guests. Our licensed pest technicians will show up promptly and treat your house the same they would their own. We serve neighborhoods and businesses from Memphis, Tennessee and all over North Mississippi.
Clean your gutters
“One Thing Leads to Another”
Cleaning gutters prevents many other issues. In 1983 an English new wave band hit the charts with “One Thing Leads to Another”. As in many other aspects of life, this is true!
But I don’t WANT to…
What if I don’t clean my gutters? This goes back to that “one thing leads to another” motto…
- If you don’t clean your gutters, they become clogged with leaves and debris.
- Clogged gutters don’t drain and they collect water.
- Collected water causes wood to decay and rot
Guess who loves rotting and decaying wood? Termites! Termites feast on rotting wood.
That’s not all.
Another catchy phrase that applies to more than the “sham wow”…
As a result of clogged gutters, washed areas form. These areas can hold water close to your foundation. This causes the soil to become saturated and water can seep under your foundation. Joining the group of water loving pests are…mosquitoes!
It’s not a fun job, but someone’s got to do it.
Overflowing gutters can wash out mulch and flower beds near your home. These washed areas can thin out your lawn. Thin lawns give weed seeds an open area to grow and germinate.
Termites, mosquitoes and now thin and weedy lawns, all because no one likes to clean out their gutters!
Make it a priority to clean out your gutters this summer. While we don’t offer gutter cleaning services, Lawn and Pest Services can assist you with termites, mosquitoes and weed control.
How do you hire a pest professional?
How do you hire a pest professional? Do you even NEED a pest professional? When was the last time you walked down the pesticide aisle of a home improvement store?
“I don’t know what I am doing here”
Big bags of chemicals and small containers of mysterious liquids can be intimidating. Fine print on the bags and bottles and the smells of their contents don’t help.
You may ask yourself…
- Is this the right formula?
- Is this safe for my pet?
- What will happen if my children touch/eat this?
- Where do I spray?
- Do I spray it once a week? Month? Year?
- What is in this stuff?
- Where did we put the sprayer?
- Or the really big question…
- How do I get this concoction inside the sprayer?
With all of that in mind, a DIY insecticide program should bring up a lot of uncertainties. So what are the benefits of hiring a pest professional?
Hiring a pest professional is a good idea
We typically pay someone more knowledgeable than ourselves to change oil, rotate the tires and resolve plumbing problems. Why do we feel we are capable of fending off roach infestations?
Hiring a pest professional can give you peace of mind. A pest professional undergoes continual training to maintain certification. In addition to that, at Lawn and Pest Solutions, our pest professionals have additional standards to maintain.
Our licensed pest professionals at Lawn and Pest Solutions apply pesticides that are specific to the area you live. These treatments apply to the specific problems you have.
What does a pest professional offer?
- Our pros look for points of entry and help you exclude them.
- Our pros broom down cobwebs and wasps nests outside so they don’t set up camp outside your home.
- Our pros know “what’s coming” ….(for instance, we know ants are more active in wet weather).
- Our pros are proactive. We like to prevent pest problems, not just solve them.
- Our pros have seen it all. We know where to look, what to look under, what signs to look for when solving pest problems.
This is a no-brainer.
At Lawn and Pest Solutions, our pest professionals are here to solve your problems. Leave the YouTube tutorials to the stay at home chemists.
Pest control in Memphis
Pest control in Memphis, TN is as easy as calling Lawn and Pest Solutions. We are specialists in pest control and can help you no matter where you are with a pest “situation.”
Prevention starts with you, the homeowner.
Whether in Memphis, Germantown or Collierville, keeping your home free of pests is a team effort. We go into homes every day to rid them of pests, but half of the battle is in prevention. Prevention starts with you, the homeowner.
4 ways to prevent pests from entering your home
- Clean up debris outside your home.
- Remove piles of twigs and leaves, bag them up and get them off of your property. Those piles make wonderful homes for pests.
- Remove fallen branches or limbs leaning against your home.
- Branches that touch your home are like “ladders.” Squirrels, mice, and other pests use these to access your roof, attic, cracks in the home.
- Seal up your home
- Walk around outside and look closely for cracks and crevices where tiny mice and more could squeeze in. Look for the smallest openings around windows, under doors, gaps between the roof and home. Seal them up!
- Clean up your home.
- Don’t leave dirty dishes in your sink overnight or leave pet food out overnight. Store pet food in an airtight container. Check your pantry to be sure that all food is sealed.
These four chores should be done regularly inside and outside of your Memphis home to help fight the war against pests.
Our licensed pest technicians will spray outside and inside your home on their initial visit. This visit includes a thorough inspection inside and out, and if they can help close up those entry points for pests, they will.
Our techs will also advise you on anything else you can do to help prevent pests. After the initial spraying, all follow up treatments are completed outside of your home. After the first (indoor) treatment, you don’t have to be home for the following (outdoor) treatments.
Whether you are fighting roaches, ants, millipedes, or any other pests in your home, we can help you. You can contact our office any day or time by leaving a message on our website.
Join us at Lawn and Pest Solutions to experience the LPS Difference. Ask about the Pest360 program. Read our reviews on Google and see our satisfied customers.
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram to learn more about our company and our professional and friendly technicians. We serve the Memphis, TN and North Mississippi areas.
7 Great Types of Lawns You Can Choose From!
You have always taken pride in your property; however, lately, you’ve been less than impressed with the look of your lawn. It doesn’t seem to fit within the aesthetic you are trying to achieve for your home, and it is becoming a source of frustration. Worry not; this situation is quite common – especially when one isn’t aware of all their options.
In this blog, we will divulge the secrets of each lawn so you can realize your home’s highest potential while still enjoying its fantastic features. You’ll be thrilled with how these unique-looking lawns can elevate your home and leave you feeling like a satisfied homeowner. Let’s get into it.
Find Your Perfect Match
With more than 11,000 varieties, choosing the right type for your lawn can be daunting. To make things easier, we’ll examine seven of the most popular styles used in the United States – so you can decide which will work best for you!
- Zoysia: This coarse grass that resembles carpet can be uncomfortable to stand on; however, many admire it due to its ability to endure both hot and cold temperatures and a significant volume of foot traffic.
- Bentgrass: With its soft texture and medium green color, Bentgrass is an excellent option for those looking to keep their lawn lush and healthy in a cold climate.
- Bermuda Grass: Bermuda grass is for you if you live in a warmer place. It is a deep green color and can be cut short, which is good if you have kids or pets who play in the yard.
- Bluegrass: For people living in northern regions, bluegrass is a popular type of grass. It grows well from both seed and sod and can tolerate cooler temperatures. However, it does not do well in shady areas.
- Centipede: This grass is a good choice for people who want to do minimal lawn care. The short, thick blades of light green will look good in your yard. Centipede grass can grow in both sun and shade and is perfect for warm climates.
- Ryegrass: Resistant to droughts and with thin leaves of green color, this grass is excellent for hot climates. Still, it needs to be watered regularly to stay healthy.
- Tall Fescue: This robust grass boasts a beautiful verdant hue and lush foliage that can survive extreme heat with minimal upkeep – creating an attractive sight for all to admire.
Beautify Your Property With Our Lawn Care Services!
If you make an incorrect decision regarding your lawn, you might end up with a lifeless and barren yard! That’s why it would be wise to seek assistance from seasoned experts specializing in lawn care services.
Don’t waste your time looking for ‘lawn care services near me’ anymore! Lawn & Pest Solutions is the perfect solution! Our family-owned business provides excellent customer service to answer all your questions about which grass to choose and how to take care of it. Experienced professionals carefully select our products always to give you great results.
Preventing Cockroaches in your home
Regardless of how clean you keep your kitchen, t’s likely there’s at least one hiding there. They are some of the most common pests found in homes.
A cockroach sighting can end dinner, a party or a date. One roach sighting in a restaurant can even ruin a Yelp rating!
Though a pest professional knows the best course of treatment and is educated on the varieties of roaches, there are a few things you can do.
“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”
10 ways to keep roaches out of your kitchen:
- Eliminate food sources.
- Remove unwanted food from kitchen cabinets and your sink.
- Empty the garbage regularly.
- Seal food items in airtight containers.
- Put away pet food.
- Clean your surfaces.
- Clean out your drains.
- Seal off cracks and entrances.
- Remove dirty dishes from kitchen sink at night.
- Run the garbage disposal frequently.
Call the Pest360 prosYou can rely on our licensed pest professionals to launch a personal attack on the roaches in your home or business. We have the tools and insecticides that are targeted to the specific type of roaches for your area.
You can also reach out to us at 662-257-3149, 901-560-2399, or fill out our online contact form to know more about our local bed bug exterminators.